Stories you'll understand, probably because you know these people, since the stories are true. Well, at least... reasonably true, although with alias' and a few other embellishments. Please don't be offended if you think I patterned one of the characters from you. I probably did, but I probably mixed a few other people in there as well. Yours is definitely the better side. The other is probably your neighbor. Enjoy. Copyright & All Rights Reserved.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hardware Store

“Do you have any pocket doors”?

I’d asked that question several times today. Each time at a different hardware store. So far, no luck. Several had offered to special order one, but as for actually getting my hands on one, no luck. This was the last stop.

“Yes, I believe they are on aisle 23. Just a moment…” the man at the front cheerfully gave me the good news. He then spoke into his radio, “Robert, can you help a customer at aisle 23”?

Nothing

“Robert, you there? A customer needs help on aisle 23.”

“This is Robert. Can Carol do it? I’m busy at the moment.” So much for customer service.

Again, into the radio, “Carol, did you hear that?”

Nothing.

“Carol, can you help a customer at aisle 23”?

Nothing. This must me one of those high-class hardware stores. So the man turns to me and says, “Go ahead to aisle 23. Someone will meet you there to help you find that pocket door.”

Cue the profound shock and disbelief. ‘If I’d only had a camera to see the look on my face. Come on…I’m standing right here.’ And yet, I dumbly walk off toward aisle 23. I got to aisle 23, walked down the whole aisle and didn’t see a pocket door. ‘Maybe, I’m just not seeing it.’  Still no one to help me.

Ten minutes later, a store employee comes down the aisle towards me.

“Can I help you with something?” he courteously asks. Maybe there’s hope.

“I need a pocket door. Do you have any of those in stock?” I carefully inquire.

“Follow me.” And then he turns and starts walking off.

‘I think I’m in luck. This guy obviously knows where things are’, I think as I follow him. The sun is definitely shining brighter!  Hope has sprung forth and is in full bloom!

He leads me right up to the front of the store to yet another new guy and says, “Do we have any pocket doors?”

“Nope.” and then he turns to me and says, “But we can special order one for you!”

1 comment:

Bag Blog said...

Those same guys helped me when I was loooking for a pocket door. They brought up this long skinny box that had been crushed in the middle, and said it was a pocket door kit, but it had been damaged. They were willing to take 10% off the price, and I could just hammer out the dents. It would work perfect. I told them no thanks.